Re: st: Microdata Adjustment through re-weighting

From   Austin Nichols <>
Subject   Re: st: Microdata Adjustment through re-weighting
Date   Fri, 15 May 2009 16:26:09 -0400

Andreas Peichl <> :
-findit minimum information loss- reports no hits as does -findit merz-.
You can certainly use Mata to solve a nonlinear system of equations g(x)=0
via Newton Raphson or by minimizing g(x)^2 but see

On Fri, May 15, 2009 at 1:52 PM, Andreas Peichl <> wrote:
> Dear statalister,
> I'm interested in re-weighting a microdata sample to fit aggregate control
> data based on the Minimum Information Loss (MIL) principle (see Merz 1994).
> Based on information theory this principle satisfies the desired positivity
> constraint on the weighting factors to be computed. For the consistent
> solution which simultaneously adjusts hierarchical microdata (e.g. household
> and personal information), a fast numerical solution by a specific modified
> Newton-Raphson (MN) procedure with a global exponential approximation is
> proposed by Merz (1994).
> This procedure involes numerically solving of a set of non-linear equations.
> I'm aware of
> I was wondering if it were possible to solve a set of non-linear equations
> with Mata (So far, I have't used Mata but I'd like to invest the time to
> learn it if it helps me solving this problem)? If yes, any hints on how to
> tackle this problem are highly appreciated.
> Does somebody know any other programs for Stata/Mata that allow reweighting
> of microdata?
Merz, Joachim (1994): Microdata Adjustment by the Minimum Information Loss
Principle. Unpublished.