RE: st: St: Ordered Logit Question

From   Richard Williams <>
To   "" <>, "" <>
Subject   RE: st: St: Ordered Logit Question
Date   Fri, 08 May 2009 00:43:41 -0500

At 11:17 PM 5/7/2009, Jason Dean, Mr wrote:
Thanks again Richard it certainly is a disadvantage to what i am doing. I just want to be clear I understood you comment correctly. In my case the DV is how related a person's job is to thier formal education. So it could be that my immigrant group maybe has a lower standard of what an education-related job is compared to the Canadian-born. Maybe the Canadian-born is more picky in terms of what they think a related job is to immigrants. Thus, comparison between these groups is not really 100% valid. Any advantage of immigrants, for example, could simply be due to this different interpretation of the depedent variable?

Is there anyway to tease this out of the data? Cause I find that the threshold parameters are much lower for immigrants than the canadian-born. And in these models means that their predicated probabilities will be higher (lower) for the highest (lowest) category. Can I interpret this as evidence for immigrants just having a lower standard?

I'm not sure how to tease it out of the data -- it may just be an alternative explanation that is always lurking out there. Some sources you might want to look at:

Adaptation and scale of reference bias in self-assessments of quality of life. Wim Groot. Journal of Health Economics 19 2000. 403?420

Cut-point shift and index shift in self-reported health. Maarten Lindeboom, Eddy van Doorslaer. Journal of Health Economics 23 (2004) 1083?1099

OFFICE: (574)631-6668, (574)631-6463
HOME:   (574)289-5227
EMAIL:  Richard.A.Williams.5@ND.Edu