st: limited dependent variables

From   "Franken, Jason R." <>
To   <>
Subject   st: limited dependent variables
Date   Thu, 7 May 2009 12:07:31 -0500

I accidently omitted the subject line in an earlier email and am sending the message again, so I apologize if this is posted twice.

Is there a user-written program appropriate for the type of truncated data discussed in Maddala (1983, p.165-170): "Limited-Dependent and Qualitative Variables in Econometrics"?

 The book is viewable at:,M1

I have data on contract duration for contracts observed in 2006 but signed at earlier dates.  This means that I observe some contracts with a duration of ten years, but I do not observe a contract signed in the same year with a duration of 3 years (that is, it was binding for only 3 years).  OLS estimates are therefore biased, and MLE is needed.