st: Problems integrating JEdit and STATA using Windows Vista

From   Anna Reimondos <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   st: Problems integrating JEdit and STATA using Windows Vista
Date   Tue, 28 Apr 2009 09:49:25 +1000

Hello,
I hope this is the right place to ask this question.
I am using  STATA 10, on a computer running Windows Vista. At the
moment I am trying to use jEdit as a text editor for working with a
large do-file where I feel that the colour highlighting and other
features of JEdit would be useful.
I have read the guides online by Nick Cox
(http://fmwww.bc.edu/repec/bocode/t/textEditors.html) and Fredrich
Huebler (http://huebler.info/2008/20080427-stata.html) and understand
that I must first put a 'stata.xml file' containing  a list of STATA
syntax into the 'modes' folder where JEdit is installed. The next step
according to the guide is to go into the 'catalog' file, found in the
'modes' folder and add an entry :

<MODE NAME="stata"              FILE="stata.xml"
                                FILE_NAME_GLOB="*.{do,ado,log}" />

When I do this I get the following jEdit error message and the file
does not save the changes I have made:

The following I/O operation could not be completed.
Cannot save: java.io.IOException: Rename failed: C\Program
Files\JEdit\modes\#catalog#save#.

I don't understand what I am doing incorrectly, and whether this is a
problem with Windows Vista.
Has anyone else had  a similar problem?

Thanks a lot
Anna