st: RE: yscale in anovaplot

From   "Nick Cox" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: RE: yscale in anovaplot
Date   Sun, 26 Apr 2009 16:52:09 +0100

Thanks to Diego for this interesting question and to Thomas for
answering it so fully.

To fill in a gap and to fill out the implicitly needed discussion:

-anovaplot- is a program in the -modeldiag- package written up in the
Stata Journal within

SJ-4-4  gr0009  . . . . . . . . . . Speaking Stata: Graphing model
diagnostics
        . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .  N.
J. Cox
        (help anovaplot, indexplot, modeldiag, ofrtplot, ovfplot,
        qfrplot, racplot, rdplot, regplot, rhetplot, rvfplot2,
        rvlrplot, rvpplot2 if installed)
        Q4/04   SJ 4(4):449--475
        plotting diagnostic information calculated from residuals
        and fitted values from regression models with continuous

There's also an equivalent package on SSC that includes older versions
of these programs.

The paper is accessible to all via

http://www.stata-journal.com/sjpdf.html?articlenum=gr0009

-anovaplot- is described on p.458. I add this comment, which is relevant
to Diego's question:

"It is curious that analysis-of-variance people typically draw
interaction plots but suppress the data, whereas regression people
prefer to draw scatterplots showing both observed and fitted values.
Admittedly, a complicated set of crossing lines showing interactions may
seem to leave little scope for showing data effectively, while a
relatively
simple regression leaves plenty of scope, but the difference is
nevertheless intriguing."

I still treasure a comment made by a senior Stata user, who might not
want to be named for this, to the effect that showing the data on the
graph typically confuses the issue.

Nevertheless I'll think about adding a -nodata- option, possibly with a
sting in the tail. (For example, it might -drop- all your data, or some
such.)

Thomas Steichen

Although you have suppressed printing a symbol for the data points via
-scatter(msym(none))-, Stata still allows room for that invisible data
in its y-axis range. Therefore you cannot reduce the range given the way
the code is written. Editing the code to allow what you want is pretty
straightforward.

Change line:
                numlist "2/`= 1 + `: word count `fits'''"