RE: st: AW: Work with many Do files simultaneously

From   "Nick Cox" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   RE: st: AW: Work with many Do files simultaneously
Date   Wed, 22 Apr 2009 16:41:20 +0100

Luis did not specify OS, but for those on Windows, note that even
Windows has its own flavour of -grep-, called -find-. Typing

find /?

at a command prompt reveals the syntax. On the other hand, the windowed
variety of this has, in my experience, often failed to find things that
do exist.

Austin Nichols

Or a OS utility (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/grep) but try:

clear all
prog find
version 10.1
syntax [anything] [, Match(string asis)]
foreach f of local anything {
tempfile t
filefilter `"`f'"' `t', from(`"`match'"') to("")
loc n=r(occurrences)
if `n'>0 & `n'<. {
di `"`n' matches found in `f'"'
*could also display relevant lines of file here
}
}
end
cd `c(sysdir_base)'a
loc t : dir . file "*.ado"
find `t', match(version 8)

On Wed, Apr 22, 2009 at 10:43 AM, Martin Weiss <[email protected]>
wrote:

> That sounds more like a case for a decent text editor than Stata.
"Find in
> Files" is standard fare for most of them...

[email protected]