Re: st: re: ivreg2: No validity tests if just-identified?

From   Kit Baum <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: re: ivreg2: No validity tests if just-identified?
Date   Sat, 18 Apr 2009 09:06:00 -0400

<>
I can reproduce the results below with

use http://fmwww.bc.edu/ec-p/data/hayashi/griliches76.dta
ivreg2 lw s expr (iq=med), endog(iq) liml first

using LIML rather than FIML. Indeed, your intuition that restricting the two equations' errors to be uncorrelated gives rise to the Wu- Hausman endogeneity statistic is correct. However in terms of semantics I would not describe the restriction of the equations' error covariance as an 'identifying restriction'. It is certainly true that restrictions on error covariances may be used to identify equations, but in this case the equation is already identified by the order and rank conditions. If you impose that restriction a priori, it seems to me that you're using a different estimation procedure. Do the results from the constrained estimation differ from OLS results for the LW equation?

An Introduction to Stata Programming | http://www.stata-press.com/books/isp.html