Re: st: isco esec issp

From   Maarten buis <>
Subject   Re: st: isco esec issp
Date   Sat, 18 Apr 2009 12:20:24 +0000 (GMT)

--- On Fri, 17/4/09, Andreas Kopf <> wrote:
> Installation is completed, but error occured :
> The CMD was: iskoisei Esec , isko(ISCO88)
> The failure was: unrecognized command:  B
> (error occurred while loading iskoisei.ado)

That appears to be a bug in -iskoisei-. At the bottom of
the file iskoisei.ado you see a B, remove that and save the
file, restart Stata, and the program should work.

As an aside: I would not call this variable Esec because, the
ISEI scale and the ESeC scheme are conceptually very different
things: isei is an occupational status scale while ESeC is a
class scheme.

Occupational status focusses the fact that some occupations
are more desirable/better than others. Class foucusses on the
fact that people who work in the same type of occupations
share certain experiences and as a result become similar to
one another. So status results in an inherently continuous
variable, while class is inherently categorical.

Hope this helps,

Maarten L. Buis
Institut fuer Soziologie
Universitaet Tuebingen