Re: st: Gllamm errors

From   Eva Poen <[email protected]>
To   Statalist <[email protected]>
Subject   Re: st: Gllamm errors
Date   Fri, 17 Apr 2009 21:55:26 +0100

<>

David,

my first question is if this is exactly the model you want to estimate:

gllamm investmentStage2 investment, i(id) nrf(1) family(gauss) link(identity)

If it is, there is no need to employ -gllamm-. This is a linear model,
and it can be estimated in Stata using -xtmixed-:

xtmixed investmentStage2 investment || id:

For the linear model (family(gauss) link(identity)), -xtmixed- is the
way to go. It can handle random coefficients and slopes in nested and
crossed designs. See -help xtmixed-.

Looking at your data, however, reveals that you have very few distinct
values in both the dependent and the independent variable. There may
be some alternatives to the linear model which suit your type of data
better.

If you insist on using -gllamm-, omit the option nrf(1). -gllamm-
automatically adds a random intercept for each nested level that you
specify in the i() option. This is how you get the "__000003 not
found" error.

Also, I can't see how the adoonly option will do any good. It is very
likely to slow -gllamm- down.

Good initial values are going to help -gllamm- to converge. However,
be aware that -gllamm- differs from some -xt- estimation commands in
Stata w.r.t. the scale of the parameters. E.g. -gllamm- wants
log(sigma) for its coefficient vector for the main equation, and not
sigma. With the initial values for random effects, it gets even more
complicated (the estimated parameters are the individual elements of
the cholesky decomposition of the variance-covariance matrix for the
random effects). If you put together a matrix for the initial values,
you also need to specify the copy option.

The excellent manual for -gllamm-, which you can download from the
web, has many worked examples for you to look at.

Hope this helps,
Eva