Re: st: model for longitudinal ordinal data

From   James Shaw <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: model for longitudinal ordinal data
Date   Fri, 10 Apr 2009 16:39:33 -0500

Since -gllamm- estimates in a mixed-effects framework, I do not
believe you can specify covariance patterns for the data.  To my
knowledge, ordinal data models cannot be fitted by GEE in Stata.  The
distinction between random effects and GEE often makes little
difference.  I would agree with Jason's comment that fitting a simple
ordinal logit or probit model with a robust variance estimator is the
way to go.  Random effects buys you efficiency at the expense of bias
and inconsistencuy if the underlying assumptions are not met.  I tend
to prefer robust, if inefficient estimators.  In any case where the
simple ordinal logit (or probit) model would fail to produce
consistent estimates, random effects would also do so.

--
Jim