st: RE: Collaborating in stata: how to share code and control version

From   "Lachenbruch, Peter" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: RE: Collaborating in stata: how to share code and control version
Date   Fri, 10 Apr 2009 08:46:48 -0700

You might want to check out Scott Long's book on Workflow.  It would
seem reasonable to me to keep programs under development out of public
areas - or have a public area for each user and if someone wants to test
and modify a program they could copy it to their directory and work on
it.  You might also consider read-write privileges for the file.

Tony

Peter A. Lachenbruch
Department of Public Health
Oregon State University
Corvallis, OR 97330
Phone: 541-737-3832
FAX: 541-737-4001

-----Original Message-----
From: [email protected]
[mailto:[email protected]] On Behalf Of Fabrice
Sent: Thursday, April 09, 2009 11:50 AM
To: [email protected]
Subject: st: Collaborating in stata: how to share code and control
version

Dear Stata colleagues,

I'm considering options to put structure into developing shared code in
Stata. Currently, we already share code by using the ADO directory
mechanism, that is very fine (i.e. putting into a shared ado directory
files
code that everyone else can use).

However, we start encountering problems whereby two people are modifying
the
same file concurrently, or worse, one erasing someone's else work.

This is a typical case where a version control system is required and I
wonder if anyone has anything to recommend.
Note1: The environment is windows.
Note2: version control for stata development should not be confused with
"version control" in stata, which only alludes to the idea that Stata
allows
to enforce the version of the system under which the code is run.

I've looked on the web, and found hints that Emacs that would a)
interface
with Stata and b) provide some version control system. Yet, I wonder if
that
works smoothly and is worth the effort.

What is your experience on that matter? Has anyone found anything
elegant
(i.e. simple) to manage this under windows?

Best,

Fabrice Cavarretta
Assistant Professor of Management and Entrepreneurship
ESSEC Business School