st: Unbalanced panel data with non-random missing data

From   emanuele canegrati <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: Unbalanced panel data with non-random missing data
Date   Tue, 7 Apr 2009 12:26:34 +0200

Dear users,

I am analyzing a panel data of firms for years 1978, 1988, 1998, 2003. The total number of firms changes across years and, as a consequence of several mergers and acquisitions, I have very few examples of firms existing in all the four years.

I also think that the total number of firms does not change randomly, but it is due to some endogenous factor (i.e. political reforms which incentive firms to merge or to go public).

Could you please tell me which are the econometric problems I could face with such an unbalanced panel? Is there any way to correct it?

Thank you in advance.

Dr. Emanuele Canegrati