Re: st: defiing the reference category in multinominal logistic regression

From   Maarten buis <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: defiing the reference category in multinominal logistic regression
Date   Sat, 28 Mar 2009 15:32:55 +0000 (GMT)

--- On Sat, 28/3/09, Dan Waldo <[email protected]> wrote:
> I am running Stata10/SE, and am doing a series of
> multinomial logistic regressions.
>
> It's clear that Stata uses information from the
> char ageg[omit] 3
> instruction (for example) when setting up the explanatory
> variables. But such is not the case for the dependent
> variable.
>
> Again for example, the variable flushot is dichotemous with
> values 1,2 referring to yes,no.
>
> -char flushot[omit] 2
> -xi: svy: mlogit flushot i.adjsmoker i.ageg i.rostsex
> i.myrace i.my_income i.my_ed i.my_dwell i.placepar , rr
>
> produces a regression in which (flushot==Yes is the base
> outcome)
>
> -xi: svy: mlogit flushot i.adjsmoker i.ageg i.rostsex
> i.myrace i.my_income i.my_ed i.my_dwell i.placepar , rr b(2)
>
> produces a regression in which (flushot==No is the base
> outcome)

If you have a dichotomous depedent variable you are better of
using -logit- rather than -mlogit-. Both are legal, but
-logit- is easier.

If you still want to use -mlogit- you can specify the base
outcome with the -baseoutcome()- option. see: -help mlogit-.

Hope this helps,
Maarten

Maarten L. Buis
Institut fuer Soziologie