RE: st: RE: Adj-R2 becomes too low with XTIVREG2?

Subject   RE: st: RE: Adj-R2 becomes too low with XTIVREG2?
Date   Fri, 27 Mar 2009 13:51:08 -0000

Erasmo,

You've got a good question here.

The rationale for -xtivreg2-'s behaviour is straightforward. The formula for adjusted R2 is:

Adjusted R2 = 1- (1 - R2 )((n - 1)/(n - k - 1))

The VCV doesn't figure in this, so I don't see why the dof adjustment for adjusted R2 should change simply because the user asked for a cluster-robust VCV.  Thus -xtivreg2- reports the same R2 and adjusted R2 whether or not -cluster- is specified.

Why official -xtreg, fe- should change the dof adjustment when someone changes the way the VCV is calculated - but not the way R2 is calculated! - is a mystery to me.

Cheers,
Mark

registered under charity number SC000278.