st: help with a histogram by year

From   "F. Gao" <>
Subject   st: help with a histogram by year
Date   Mon, 9 Mar 2009 10:19:18 -0400

Dear members,

I am trying to get a histogram by year. I use the following command

hist y, by(year,graphregion(color(white))) freq

Two things annoy me so far.

1. I do not know how to get rid of the note on the lower left part of
the graph "Graphs by year". I tried adding
    note(`"   "')
    at the end of the command, with no effect

2. I would like to add a small title under each graph for each year,
such as "For year 1990", "For year 1991", so that I could replace the
title added by stata automatically on the top of each graph, like
"1990", "1991".