st: Child mortality rates using DHS

From   "Satvika Chalasani" <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   st: Child mortality rates using DHS
Date   Mon, 9 Mar 2009 06:11:12 -0400 (EDT)

Hello Statalisters,

I am trying to reproduce the neonatal/infant/under-5 mortality rates shown
in the Demographic and Health Survey reports, particularly for the Indian
surveys. Now DHS does provide SPSS and SAS modules to calculate mortality
rates their way but not a Stata module. I am using sts list to calculate
failure functions, and in two surveys I come close to the published rates
but in one I don't. ltable seems even less accurate. Does anyone have a
routine that they would be willing to share? Or any thoughts?

My code:

gen ageatexit=.
replace ageatexit=(interviewdate-dateofbirth) if childalive==1
replace ageatexit=(dateofdeath-dateofbirth) if childdied==1

preserve
stset ageatexit [pw=weight], failure(neonatal) id(caseid) exit(t 28)
stsplit dur, every (7)
gen neonatal_d=0 if _d~=.
replace neonatal_d=1 if _d==1
sts list, failure