Re: st: Phillips-Perron unit root test

From   Robert A Yaffee <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: Phillips-Perron unit root test
Date   Wed, 25 Feb 2009 11:34:59 -0500

Nolan,
  In the article written by the authors,  they acknowledge that this test has power
problems.  Maddala and Kim (1998) in their  Unit Roots, Cointegration, and Structural Change
suggest that it should not be used at all.    The size distortions with finite samples
of this test are serious according to MK(p.81). The PP test is less reliable than the ADF
test when a predominance of negative correlations inhere within first differences.  It has
paltry power with negative MA.
   The Elliot, Rothenberg, Stock test is better than both.  However, Kit Baum has
maintained that the covariate adjusted ADF test may enhance the power from about
.12 to .58 (Baum, presentation at 2007? NAStata Users's Group meeting).
   Either the ERS test or a CAADF might be better.
            - Regards,
                   Bob  Yaffeee

Robert A. Yaffee, Ph.D.
Research Professor