st: "flat region resulting in a missing likelihood" (error message)

Subject   st: "flat region resulting in a missing likelihood" (error message)
Date   Wed, 25 Feb 2009 16:43:34 +0100 (CET)

I'm trying to do a multinomial logit and I write to stata: "mlogit country
taxe" where country is the country's choice of firms and taxe is corporate
tax of the country.

Stata refuses to provide results and indicates: "flat region resulting in
a missing likelihood"

In Stata's help I have this message:"convergence not achieved;
        You have estimated a maximum-likelihood model and Stata's
        maximization procedure failed to converge to a solution;
        see [R] maximize.  Check if the model is identified."

I don't know if I have a problem of stata's command or of econometrics; in
this last case, could you indicate me please which topic to study to solve
my problem?

(maybe it is a very obvious question but I am new in econometrics and I'm
a bit lost in regressions!)

Thank you very much for help,