st: problems with Windows Vista

From   Kit Baum <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   st: problems with Windows Vista
Date   Sat, 21 Feb 2009 12:25:25 -0500

<>
Bob reported problems earlier this month with -ssc new-. He wrote

Taking a hint provided by Nick Cox (thank you!), I found that using
Vista's "run as administrator" when invoking Stata allowed me to run
-ssc new. There is probably a permissions issue that I will
investigate later.

I recently had a private conversation with a user in Austin who was getting absolutely screwy results from -ivreg2- on Stata 9.2. After ensuring that she had the most up-to-date versions, I thought about the issue of official Stata updates. Turned out that every time she did 'update all', Vista would fail to update the files, butt Stata did not give a coherent error message as to the problem. I suggested that she run Stata as admin, as suggested above, and she reported that she could do the update, and ivreg2 worked fine once she did.

The strange thing is that Stata checks to see if the directory in which, e.g., official ado-files are written is writeable (which it was, for her) but then craps out on trying to move the files to that directory.

http://ideas.repec.org/e/pba1.html