st: multivariate normal regression with ml, linear form

From   "Carlo Fezzi" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: multivariate normal regression with ml, linear form
Date   Wed, 18 Feb 2009 12:59:18 -0000

Dear all,

I am trying to write my likelihood function to estimate a multivariate
normal regression using the method ?lf?.

I am not sure how write a function flexible enough to work with different
numbers of equations, in particular, I don?t know how to define the
arguments. For example, given a model with 5 equations:

------------------
clear
set obs 1000

global neq = 5

matrix r = (1, 0.35, 0.5, 0.7, 0.1 \ 0.35, 1, 0.2, 0.1, 0.6 \ ///
0.5, 0.2, 1, 0.4, 0.3 \ 0.7, 0.1, 0.4, 1, 0.4 \ ///
0.1, 0.6, 0.3, 0.4, 1)

drawnorm u1 u2 u3 u4 u5, corr(r)

gen x1 = uniform() -0.5
gen x2 = 2*uniform() + 0.5

gen y1 = 0.5 + 4*x1 + u1
gen y2 = -1 -2*x1 + 3*x2 + u2
gen y3 = 3 + 3*x1 - 2*x2 + u3
gen y4 = -3 +x1 + x2 + u4
gen y5 = 6 - 4*x1 + u5

capture program drop multireg_lf
program multireg_lf
	version 10.1
	args ???????
------------------

I don?t know how to define the args. For example, if it is a bivariate
equations it would be mu1 mu2 lnsigma1 lnsigma2 r12, but for a 4 or 5
equations model it would have of course more arguments. I guess it could be
a function of the global var neq, but I don?t know which is the correct way
to specify the args. I am having a look at the book ?maximum likelihood
estimation with Stata? but they show how to do it with the method ?d1?,
which is not really what I want. I would by far prefer ?lf?.

I would be very grateful to any of the expert users of ml for their advice,

All the best,

Carlo

Carlo Fezzi
Senior Research Associate
Centre for Social Research on the Global Environment (CSERGE)
Department of Environmental Sciences
University of East Anglia
Norwich (UK) NR2 7TJ
Telephone: +44(0)1603 591385