st: How to write a fast code to obtain a specific calculation

From   "Tiago V. Pereira" <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   st: How to write a fast code to obtain a specific calculation
Date   Tue, 17 Feb 2009 21:53:20 -0200 (BRST)

Dear statalisters,

I usually  need to compute a value X that satifies a specific condition.

A typical example is shown below. But this is only a single example, and
ordinarily I have similar, but more complex aims.

Hence, I would like to know your expert opinion on how one can make codes
these kind of codes faster. Perhaps only Mata helps?

In this example, I want to compute the value of tau^2 that imposes the
lower limit of my confidence interval to be 0.

.
.
.
scalar lower_limit = 999999999
while lower_limit>0 {
local tau2 = `tau2'+0.0001
cap drop T_i V_i W_i WT
gene T_i= ln(_ES)
gene V_i = _selogES^2
gene W_i = 1/(V_i+`tau2')
gene WT = W_i*T_i
qui summ WT
scalar sum_WT = r(sum)
qui sum W_i
scalar sum_W_i = r(sum)
scalar summary_random = sum_WT/sum_W_i
scalar lower_limit = summary_random-(1.96/sqrt(sum_W_i))
}

Cheers!

Tiago