Re: st: covariance

From   Maarten buis <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: covariance
Date   Sat, 14 Feb 2009 08:49:49 +0000 (GMT)

--- On Fri, 13/2/09, Carlos Rodriguez wrote:
> Please, could anyone tell me what is the difference between
> the covariance command and the "correlation-,coefficients"
> command in Stata10?

There is no difference: both the -covariance- and the
-correlation- don't exist in Stata. What does exist is
the -correlate- command, which has the options
-covariance- and -_coef-. Is this what you mean?

> I have read the help files but I am still unsure which to
> use if I want to show whether two regressors are highly
> collinear or not.

You definitely do not want to use the -_coef- option for
this. So, your choice is between -correlate- and
-correlate, covariance-. Both are measures of linear
association between variables, the difference is that
correlations are standardized and covariances are not. You
can find a more complete discussion in any introductory
statistics text.

--Maarten

Maarten L. Buis
Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam