st: convert adjacency to edgelist

From   "Victor, Jennifer Nicoll" <>
To   "''" <>
Subject   st: convert adjacency to edgelist
Date   Fri, 13 Feb 2009 16:25:36 -0500

Hello Stata users,

I have a 438x438 adjacency matrix (symmetrical, non-directed) where the cells are the number of connections between each i,j pair (the pairs are members of congress and the connections are the number of caucuses each pair is in).  I have it in Excel format, csv format, and Stata format.  I also have it in Stata as a dyadic dataset with attribute variables (N=95,703).   I want to convert either the dyadic data or the adjacency matrix to an edgelist that I could import into R (igraph) or NodeXL or TouchGraph so that I can make a network graph or two, but I need an edgelist to import into those programs.  My goal is to make a network graph where I can show that party leaders are more central in the network than non-party leaders (two of my attributes are party leaders and centrality scores).

I'm wondering if I could write some Stata code that would allow me to convert one dataset or the other into an edgelist.  But I don't know how to do that.  Advice?

[Note:  Perhaps I'd be better off trying to do this in R, but I'm much more comfortable in Stata than in R--I'm still quite a novice there.  If some people on this list think this is easy to do in R and know how, I'm all ears and willing to work through it.]

Jennifer Nicoll Victor
Assistant Professor
Department of Political Science
University of Pittsburgh