st: RE: RE: Re: percent of time a

From   "Nick Cox" <>
To   <>
Subject   st: RE: RE: Re: percent of time a
Date   Wed, 11 Feb 2009 20:40:37 -0000

I've not tried understanding this but my guess is that -collapse- on an
indicator and whatever -by()- you want would get you there with less

Howard Lempel

It would have been helpful if I'd been more explicit.  I have various
income variables that are topcoded and censored at zero and would like
to know how often that bites among many different subpopulations.  The
censoring means that p(X_i=0) is not zero.  I guess it's also true that
my variables are not strictly continuous in that they're rounded to the
nearest integer.

I ended up doing something like the following:

Gen zero = .
foreach var in `vars' {
	local rowcount = 1
	foreach gend in `genders' {
		foreach yr in `yrs' {
			local colcount = 1
			*Do other things
			. . .
			. . .
			*Find out how often my variable is zero
			replace zero = (`var'==0)
			sum zero [aw=wgt] if gender==`gend' &
year==`yr', meanonly
			matrix `var'mat[`rowcount', `colcount'] =
			local colcount = `colcount' + 1
			*Do more other things
			. . .
			. . .

Nick's method using the _gwtmean function for -egen- also works, but
since there's no -ereplace- function, it would have involved either
-dropping- a variable in each iteration of the loop, or -egenerating-
lots of variables.