st: RE: Re: percent of time a

From   Howard Lempel <>
To   "" <>
Subject   st: RE: Re: percent of time a
Date   Wed, 11 Feb 2009 09:01:00 -0500

It would have been helpful if I'd been more explicit.  I have various income variables that are topcoded and censored at zero and would like to know how often that bites among many different subpopulations.  The censoring means that p(X_i=0) is not zero.  I guess it's also true that my variables are not strictly continuous in that they're rounded to the nearest integer.

I ended up doing something like the following:

Gen zero = .
foreach var in `vars' {
	local rowcount = 1
	foreach gend in `genders' {
		foreach yr in `yrs' {
			local colcount = 1
			*Do other things
			. . .
			. . .
			*Find out how often my variable is zero
			replace zero = (`var'==0)
			sum zero [aw=wgt] if gender==`gend' & year==`yr', meanonly
			matrix `var'mat[`rowcount', `colcount'] = r(mean)
			local colcount = `colcount' + 1
			*Do more other things
			. . .
			. . .

Nick's method using the _gwtmean function for -egen- also works, but since there's no -ereplace- function, it would have involved either -dropping- a variable in each iteration of the loop, or -egenerating- lots of variables.

Howie Lempel
Research Assistant
The Brookings Institution | Economic Studies
1775 Massachusetts Ave NW | Washington DC 20036 | p: (202) 238-3576