st: RE: forval question again

From   Howard Lempel <>
To   "" <>
Subject   st: RE: forval question again
Date   Wed, 11 Feb 2009 13:14:53 -0500

This is probably not the most concise code.  That being said, try:

local start = start_year[1]
local end = end_year[1]

forval `start'/`end' {
	do stuff

Hope this helps.

-----Original Message-----
From: [] On Behalf Of Rike
Sent: Wednesday, February 11, 2009 1:06 PM
To: statalist
Subject: st: forval question again

Dear all,

this is a follow up question on the one right below.

I have tried

 forval x = start_year[1]/end_year[1] {

but it gives me the invalid syntax error.

As for using r(min) and r(max) as per Martin's suggestion, I don't
think it will work because start_year and end_year are two different
variables. Any other ideas? Here is my question again:

I want forval to loop over the (min) value of two variables. More
specifically, there is a variable called start_year and another called
end_year and what I want is something like this:

forval x = start_year / end_year  {

The variables have all the same value but i want to repeat the same
codes across different samples that have varying starting and ending
years. This is why I don't want to put the years in numbers as this
would create a lot more work.

Is there a way to do this?

Thanks in advance.