Re: st: Interpretation of log transformed variables in logistic regression?

Subject   Re: st: Interpretation of log transformed variables in logistic regression?
Date   Fri, 6 Feb 2009 11:22:03 -0500

Jason Davis <[email protected]>:
A one-unit increase in log income is a 172% increase in income, which
you estimate increases the odds of birth fivefold (a one-unit increase
in log income increases log odds by 1.68 so a one-percent increase in
income, or increase in log income of .01, increases log odds by
.0168).  If the odds of birth are .0204 at mean income, a one-percent
increase in income increases them to .0207 or so, according to your
estimates.  You have bigger problems--income is not exogenous, so an
exogenous increase in income might in fact have a very different
causal impact on the odds of birth than the one you estimate.  Perhaps
even a negative impact, rather than a positive one.