Re: AW: st: PC vs AppleMac commands

Subject   Re: AW: st: PC vs AppleMac commands
Date   Wed, 4 Feb 2009 11:13:22 -0500

Dear Zaid,

I believe any answers as to whether your .do files are going to work
are best guesses so far. While Stata itself is platform independent
there are some platform-specific commands and option, both built-in
and written by other users. E.g. :
--- graph exporting commands (e.g. .PICT format is not available in Windows),
--- logging formats (e.g. pdf-translator is Mac-only)
--- all shell-related calls need to be checked, user-written programs
may call external applications, like R or data-converters
--- particular plugins may or may not be available
--- ODBC drivers may or may not be available (64-bit Windows ODBC
drivers for Excel were not available when I last checked)
--- etc.

If your program is simple enough to be covered by the "Getting
Started" manual - don't worry. Otherwise spend some time looking at
what the program is doing.

Best wishes,
    Sergiy Radyakin