Re: st: RE: RE: The Future of Statistical Computing

Subject   Re: st: RE: RE: The Future of Statistical Computing
Date   Fri, 23 Jan 2009 12:58:55 -0500

Dear Timothy,

allow me to disaggree on the graphics issue. Stata graphs can be quite
attractive (see links) and once you dig through the undocumented
graphics commands, the possibilities are endless. See examples with
climatic data plot, contour plot and the legendary Lenna test image
here:

http://img216.imageshack.us/my.php?image=climatedataineditordc4.png
http://img230.imageshack.us/my.php?image=contourplotingrapheditoim1.png
http://img216.imageshack.us/my.php?image=lennaingrapheditorry4.png

(the host site ImageShack will attempt to display pop-up
advertisements, which are not related to these examples)

Click the image and maximize the browser window to see it in full-size.
Contour plot was originally rendered at higher resolution (1.54MP),
but the host didn't accept such large images, so it was scaled down -
thus some noise around text.

So I think the tools are available. It is a matter of actually writing
code and using them.

Best regards,
    Sergiy Radyakin

PS: if you are reading this message in an archive after about a month
after this message is posted, the above links may be broken. Sorry for
an inconvenience, but statalist does not allow attachements.

On Fri, Jan 23, 2009 at 11:46 AM, Mak, Timothy
<[email protected]> wrote:
> Thank you Stas and Nick for sharing these very interesting articles.
>
> My humble opinion is that:
>
> Data mining must be growing at a massive pace, and I can easily imagine there's a great market for non-statistician friendly software that can graphically summarize complicated data at clicks of a few buttons. For example let's imagine a scenario where a small company wants to investigate the buying behaviour of its clients. Let's imagine the business is similar to a supermarket. To find out which products tend to be bought together, he might ask the software to 'summarize it for him'. And the software outputs a PCA graph of the first 2 components. Out also come a dialog box 'Would you want to look at the data from another way?' Clicking 'Yes' gives a rotated factor analysis of the same data, with scores plot on the two axes. Another click gives a multidimensionally scaled version of the graph. Another click gives a 3-d scatter plot. Another click gives you a dendrogram from a cluster analysis, and so on... The business manager merely needs to choose the graph that he unde!
 rs!