RE: st: How to interpret and summarize adjusted medians

From   I M <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   RE: st: How to interpret and summarize adjusted medians
Date   Wed, 14 Jan 2009 11:37:03 -0800

Maarten and Alan, thank you immensely for your help and for reading
through my question!!!

---begin---

sysuse auto

qreg price weight length foreign

adjust, by(foreign)

predict [test], xb

sum [test], d
// note that the mean as reported by the sum command is the same as the
value reported for the adjust command.
My question, however, is whether I should report the 50% (median) from the sum
command, or the mean from the sum command, IF I want to report the “adjusted
median value”.

by foreign, sort: ci [test]

---end---

What I want to do:

Run quantile regression model for price, controlled for
weight, length and foreign

Determine what the median price is, by foreign.

Where I am confused:

Running adjust after the qreg command will provide adjusted
values based on the qreg command (in other words, this will provide predicted
median prices).

But, the adjust command (i.e. ‘adjust, by(foreign)’), will
provide an output that states the “mean of the predicted medians from the qreg
model”.

What I don’t quite get is that I should be reporting the “mean
of the predicted medians”?  Or should I
report the “median of the predicted median”?
I should note that the mean and median of the “predicted medians” are
very close in value, as should be expected as the predicted distribution is not
skewed.

// note that the mean as reported by the sum command is the same as the
value reported for the adjust command.
My question, however, is whether I should report the 50% (median) from the sum
command, or the mean from the sum command, IF I want to report the “adjusted
median value”.

This will be my final attempt as I really appreciate all
your help and don’t want to bother you anymore!

Thanks!