RE: st: How to interpret and summarize adjusted medians

From   Maarten buis <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   RE: st: How to interpret and summarize adjusted medians
Date   Wed, 14 Jan 2009 18:59:47 +0000 (GMT)

--- I M <[email protected]> wrote:
> But I also wanted to verify that even though the commmand is qreg
> (for quantile regression), I should use the mean to report the
> statistics, and not the 50th percentile?

both the mean and the median are reasonable measures of central
tendency, which one you choose is up to you. You can get the adjusted
median prices while keeping weight and length at their median rather
than mean values in the following way:

*------------ begin example ----------
sysuse auto
qreg price weight length foreign
sum weight if e(sample), detail
local med_w = r(p50)
sum weight if e(sample), detail
local med_l = r(p50)

adjust weight=`med_w' length=`med_l', by(foreign)
*----------- end example ----------------
(For more on how to use examples I sent to the Statalist, see
http://home.fsw.vu.nl/m.buis/stata/exampleFAQ.html )

Hope this helps,
Maarten

Maarten L. Buis