RE: st: Scale construction and item analysis (teaching materials ?)

From   jverkuilen <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>, <[email protected]>
Subject   RE: st: Scale construction and item analysis (teaching materials ?)
Date   Tue, 30 Dec 2008 13:14:34 -0500

Stata has many psychometric models, but they are often not called that.

(1) Generalizability Theory: The random effects models can be fit using -xtmixed-.

(2) IRT: You can fit a Rasch model using -clogit- for conditional ML estimation and -xtlogit- or -xtmelogit- for marginal ML estimation. Phil Ender has a nice example using -clogit- for the famous LSAT data on the web.

The two parameter logistic 2PL (and many other models) can be fit using -gllamm-. You could to set up a 3PL in -gllamm- as composite link model but I wouldn't hold your breath as the 3PL is notoriously difficult to fit without using penalized ML/Bayesian estimation.

Carolyn Anderson's method for pseudolikelihood estimation of IRT models by rest scores could also be done in Stata as all that is required is -logit-, robust standard errors and a bunch of data manipulation. (Sorry I don't have the cite here and am on my handheld while sitting on the train. I will dig it out later.)

There is a Free IRT group (Google for it) that has some IRT material for Stata.

Also, there's a Stata package for Mokken (nonparametric) IRT, I believe it's called -mokken-.

(3) Many agreement statistics can be gotten using the Somer's d package (-somersd- I believe). Many latent class agreement models not discussed in Streiner and Norman but found in the literature could be estimated using -gllamm-.