Re: st: Simulating multilevel data in Stata

From   "James Shaw" <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: Simulating multilevel data in Stata
Date   Tue, 23 Dec 2008 16:10:13 -0600

Stas and Alan:

After my last e-mail, I modified Alan's initial code to produce the
following, which seems to work.  The resulting variable that
represents the unit-specific effects is time-invariant.

***
drop _all
set obs 500

gen n = _n
gen u=invnorm(uniform())
expand 3
sort n
gen n2 = _n
gen t= (n2 - (n-1)*3)

matrix V = I(3)
matrix V[1,2]=.5
matrix V[2,1]=.5
matrix V[1,3]=.0
matrix V[3,1]=.0

drawnorm X1 X2 e,cov(V)

matrix V = I(3)
matrix V[1,2]=.3
matrix V[2,1]=.3
matrix V[1,3]=.0
matrix V[3,1]=.0
matrix V[2,3]=.5
matrix V[3,2]=.5

matrix accum A = u X1 X2 ,noc dev
matrix A=(1/1499)*A

matrix H=cholesky(V)
matrix G=cholesky(A)
matrix GI=inv(G)
matrix HGI=H*GI

gen y3=HGI[1,1]*u
gen y1=HGI[2,1]*u+HGI[2,2]*X1
gen y2=HGI[3,1]*u+HGI[3,2]*X1+HGI[3,3]*X2

--
Jim