RE: st: confirmatory factor analysis with binary variables

From   "Buckley, Gillian J." <>
To   "" <>
Subject   RE: st: confirmatory factor analysis with binary variables
Date   Fri, 12 Dec 2008 16:51:04 -0500

Thank you Steve!
I was trying to use cfa1, but I realized that I couldn't input my correlation matrices.
I also did a web search on the gllam, but I was honestly scared off by reading how difficult it is.
I will look at the MX program you mention.
From: [] On Behalf Of Steven Samuels []
Sent: Friday, December 12, 2008 4:47 PM
Subject: Re: st: confirmatory factor analysis with binary variables

On Dec 12, 2008, at 3:55 PM, Buckley, Gillian J. wrote:
> I am trying to do a confirmatory factor analysis on data that is
> all binary, 0=no, 1=yes.   I have downloaded the tertrachoric
> command and used this to find the tertrachoric correlations.  Is it
> possible to do confirmatory factor analysis with this data using
> the cfa1 command in Stata 9?

The Statalist FAQ state: "Say what command(s) you are using. If they
are not part of official Stata, say where they come from: the STB/SJ,
SSC, or other archives."

  -cfa1- (and its more able sibling -cfa-) were written by Stas
Kolenikov. The -help- files (available online if you type "search
cfa1, all")  show no provision for inputting correlation matrices.

-gllamm-  ("search gllamm, all") will fit CFAs, but people more
experienced than I report that this is not easy.  Also, -gllamm- will
not report standard CFA fit statistics.

Look into Mike Neale's free MX Program, which is available for a
variety of platforms.  I learned about it from Jay Verkuilen's post