st: AW: RE: Interpretation of Log Transformed Independent Variables in Ordered Logit

From   Florian Köhler <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: AW: RE: Interpretation of Log Transformed Independent Variables in Ordered Logit
Date   Wed, 3 Dec 2008 11:14:04 +0100

Roger,

Thanks for your comments.

Maybe I did not make myself clear enough, but I was referring to marginal
changes in predicted outcome probabilities, in my case pr(outcome=3). The
STATA command after ologit would be mfx compute, predict(outcome(3)).

This means I (approximately) get the effect of a unit change in my x-variate
on Pr(outcome=3). If my variable was the "number of employees" everything is
clear, I get the effect of having one more employee on Pr(outcome=3). But
since my x-variate is "log(number of employees)" I was confused. If I
understand you right, I then get the effect of raising my original variable
(employees) by the factor e on Pr(outcome=3).

In OLS, though,  the interpretation of coefficients of log-transformed
variables can be done in terms of percent change, right? (A one percent
increase in the independent variable raises/decreases the dependent variable
by (coefficient/100) units)
That´s why I thought I could do an interpretation in my ologit example via
percent changes as well.

Thanks a lot,

Florian