RE: st: Length for strings, ignoring SMCL tags

From   "Nick Cox" <>
To   <>
Subject   RE: st: Length for strings, ignoring SMCL tags
Date   Tue, 2 Dec 2008 21:22:12 -0000

My diagnosis is the same. Or at least, I battered my head against this
and could think of nothing that suited.

However, let's go one step back. Why do you want this?

Austin Nichols

Brian Karfunkel <>:
According to -help extended_fcn- you can't use display directives with
"in" and "as":

display in smcl "{err}hello"
loc g: display in smcl "{err}hello"
di strlen(`"`:display in smcl "{err}hello"'"')

which is unfortunate for your particular example. So you are stuck
removing all {smcl} before computing length--and during that process
counting spaces if you want them.

On Tue, Dec 2, 2008 at 3:58 PM, Brian Karfunkel <>