Re: st: Length for strings, ignoring SMCL tags

From   "Austin Nichols" <>
Subject   Re: st: Length for strings, ignoring SMCL tags
Date   Tue, 2 Dec 2008 16:18:01 -0500

Brian Karfunkel <>:
According to -help extended_fcn- you can't use display directives with
"in" and "as":

display in smcl "{err}hello"
loc g: display in smcl "{err}hello"
di strlen(`"`:display in smcl "{err}hello"'"')

which is unfortunate for your particular example. So you are stuck
removing all {smcl} before computing length--and during that process
counting spaces if you want them.