RE: st: STATA loop terminating over missing variables

From   "Nick Cox" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   RE: st: STATA loop terminating over missing variables
Date   Mon, 1 Dec 2008 14:15:07 -0000

The original question seems backwards. The purpose of the loop as
written is to create (e.g.) mindiff1_2 from mindiff1 and mindiff_2, so
that far from being a problem, the prior non-existence of mindiff1_2 is
expected. Perhaps the questioner meant that some of the
mindiff1-mindiff15 may not exist, in which case a better syntax is (as
indicated by Maarten)

forval i = 1/15 {
	forval j = 1/15 {
		capture gen mindiff`i'_`j' = mindiff`i' - mindiff`j'
	}
}

Note correction of typo ``i' to `i'.

Maarten buis

--- Akshay SHanker <[email protected]> wrote:
> I am running the following simple loop which i need some help with:
>
> forvalues i =1/15 {
> forvalues j=1/15{
> gen mindiff`i'_`j' = mindiff``i' - mindiff`j'
> }
> }
>
> The problem is that not all combinations of i and j exist , so for
> example mindiff1_2 may not exist. Everytime the loop goes over such a
> variable, the loop terminates and thus stops running the loop over
> all consecutive variables which may exist. How do i stop the loop
> from terminating?

see: -help capture-