st: RE: re: if-sentences in Stata

From   Linn Renée Naper <>
To   <>
Subject   st: RE: re: if-sentences in Stata
Date   Fri, 28 Nov 2008 09:55:04 +0100

Hi again
I just need to be sure that I understand a couple
of things in your proposed command as it is not
working exactly as I want it to yet:

1) When you type L.flow is that referring to the
Value in cell [_n-1]?

2) you type flow = (shift == - 1)*..... and then + (shift == 1)*...
Adding the + there and then (shift == 1) means Stata should
execute the last command only if the (shift == 1) is true?

The 2/1 at last means starting in cell 2 and continue in
Steps of 1, right? As you probably understand I am
Kind of new to programming syntax in Stata.

You are very helpful!!
-----Opprinnelig melding-----
Fra: [] På vegne av Kit Baum
Sendt: 27. november 2008 20:34
Emne: st: re: if-sentences in Stata

< >
Linn said

I've tried and it really doesn't matter...
I get the same result.

And that result will presumably be meaningless, as a statement like

if shift == 1

will ever only reference the FIRST observation of the variable shift.
Given what you have outlined as the logic, I cannot imagine that this
could be useful. Please see my proposed solution.