st: Data Management

From   "Rijo John" <>
To   stata <>
Subject   st: Data Management
Date   Fri, 21 Nov 2008 11:08:14 -0600

Hi statalist,

I have a data set as follows

ID  City          Year
1    City name   1
1    City name   2

The data is suppose to have same city names for each ids for year 1
and two. but there are many occasions where city for the year 1 is
spelt differently thanthat for year 2. I just want to list out or edit
those cities where city names are different for year 1 and 2 for the
same ID. When I issue the following command

bysort ID : list if  City!=City[_n-1]

it lists all observations in the data whether or not the city is spelt
differently in years one and two. Thats strange to me? Can someone
tell what  I am doing wrong here?

Thanks for your help.