st: RE: combining many data files

From   "Matt Spittal" <>
To   <>
Subject   st: RE: combining many data files
Date   Thu, 20 Nov 2008 13:53:34 +1100

I'm a big fan of using -foreach- for these types of problems.  The first thing is to make sure that your datasets are named in a similar way.  In the example below I have used a set of datasets called data1, data2, ..., data30.  Once that is done, you can place your -append- command inside a -foreach- loop. For instance:

	use data1, clear
	foreach num of numlist 2/30 {
		append using data`num'

This code is really just a shortcut for the following:

	use data1, clear
	append using data2
	append using data3
	append using data30

Other variations are possible too, see -help foreach-.

-- Matt

-----Original Message-----
[]On Behalf Of Mingfeng Lin
Sent: Thursday, 20 November 2008 1:35 PM
Subject: st: combining many data files

I am wondering if there's a straightforward way to append a large
number of .dta files into one file using Stata? The -append- command
seems to disallow wildcards in the file names.  I do find one method
from UCLA's ATS website,

but I'm still hoping there's an easier way, or somehow getting the
-append- command to recognize the wildcards - so that I could just
simply type

append using *.dta

Thanks :)