st: combining many data files

From   "Mingfeng Lin" <>
Subject   st: combining many data files
Date   Wed, 19 Nov 2008 21:34:33 -0500

I am wondering if there's a straightforward way to append a large
number of .dta files into one file using Stata? The -append- command
seems to disallow wildcards in the file names.  I do find one method
from UCLA's ATS website,

but I'm still hoping there's an easier way, or somehow getting the
-append- command to recognize the wildcards - so that I could just
simply type

append using *.dta

Thanks :)