Statalist

Re: st: Re: how to quietly svmat?

From   vwiggins@stata.com (Vince Wiggins, StataCorp)
To   statalist@hsphsun2.harvard.edu
Subject   Re: st: Re: how to quietly svmat?
Date   Wed, 12 Nov 2008 10:55:40 -0600

Kit Baum <baum@bc.edu> writes that a Stata program in a recent Stata Journal
usurped the name of one of his programs that was distributed on SSC,

> ... (I was quite annoyed when the name of my -xttest1- routine,
> which had been circulating via SSC for a while, was usurped by a
> Stata Journal article!)

That shouldn't have happened.  We try to identify and address name collisions
in commands when Stata Journal articles are submitted, but we missed this one.
We will try harder in the future.

A while back, actually about 8 years, we tried to initiate a registry for
command names.  We had two goals.  One was lofty -- to keep things like this
from happening.  The other was less lofty, but could also save
user-programmers trouble later -- to keep others from using a program name
that was so good that we might want to claim it later for an official command.
The registry met a tepid response and eventually went away.  I doubt it ever
comes back.  With the advent of -findit- and the SSC, it is relatively easy to
search for name collisions.  That doesn't mean that we might not take over a
particularly apt name, but that has been extremely rare.

-- Vince
   vwiggins@stata.com