st: 64-bit Windows OS advice

From   Richard Goldstein <>
To   statalist <>
Subject   st: 64-bit Windows OS advice
Date   Wed, 29 Oct 2008 08:09:45 -0400

First, thanks to Neil and Jeph for hardware advice in my search for a 64-bit machine.

I have almost reached a decision but am still a bit stuck re: OS; I have been a user of Windows for many years; however, I have heard (actually mostly found on the web) enough anecdotes about 64-bit Windows (either XP or Vista) that I am looking for information from people who have actually used one or both; the main issues appear to be:

1. stability (e.g., crashes)

2. speed (not sure what this means but have read the 64-bit Vista, in particular, is "slow"

3. software, esp. 32-bit software; I have heard both of the following:

3.a. much 32-bit software will not run on 64-bit Windows

3.b. when the 32-bit software does run, I have heard of problems, including crashes and even apparently ridiculous effects (e.g., read where one person's registry expanded to 23 MB because everytime he ran 32-bit software (maybe one particular program) it added lines to the registry

Any other issues/concerns?

Advice or info from anyone with actual experience greatly appreciated.