st: RE: RE: Some Basic STATA Questions

From   "Prashant Shukla" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: RE: RE: Some Basic STATA Questions
Date   Sat, 4 Oct 2008 17:53:27 +0100

Thanks so much Martin, for all your solutions. I will check out
Stat/Transfer as well. Sincerely appreciate it,

-Prash.

-----Original Message-----
From: [email protected]
[mailto:[email protected]] On Behalf Of Martin Weiss
Sent: Friday, October 03, 2008 2:22 PM
To: [email protected]
Subject: st: RE: Some Basic STATA Questions

Welcome and good to see you in the community! On the first question, you
can
open as many instances of Stata as your computer allows; or you can
-append-
or -merge- datasets. On the second, every time you open an instance of
Stata, "a new dataset" is already there. -generate- as many variables as
you
like, -format- them and -save- them in .dta format. If you want to get
file
transfers, both in and out of Stata, right fast, I would recommend
investing
in Stat/Transfer which is great in combination with the -ssc describe
stcmd-
package.
BTW, the red columns are string variables. Stata is not particularly
fond of
those, so most of the time you want to -decode- or -destring- them.
After
-destring-, they will be highlighted in blue in the Data Editor and Data
Browser. Note that not all strings should be treated this way, though.
If
you have a dataset whose 250 rows are populated by the countries of the
earth, you probably should leave the "country" variable as string...

HTH
Martin