Re: st: Problem with ultraedit and comments

From   "Friedrich Huebler" <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: Problem with ultraedit and comments
Date   Sat, 4 Oct 2008 09:13:40 -0400

Beth,

After "years of success" something on your computer must have changed
to cause your current problems. Do the problems still occur after you
restart the computer? Did you install a new editor or a new version of
Stata? Did the folder structure on your computer change? Is your
computer used by another person who may have changed something without
your knowledge?

The error message related to your -global- command has nothing to do
with the program that links UltraEdit to Stata, as Kieran explained in
an earlier response.

Friedrich

On Fri, Oct 3, 2008 at 4:35 PM, Beth Gifford <[email protected]> wrote:
> If anyone has some constructive suggestions on how to fix this issue
> please let me know. I'm getting weird responses from 2 text editors
> (ultraedit & textpad) that I have had years of success with and I'm
> not sure where to troubleshoot.
>
> **text pad (per info on Jeremy Freese's page which was simple to
> follow and worked well for a long time)
>  if I try to run a do file in batch from textpad I get the following
> error message
> my log (which has the familar ascii STATA and my serial number at the
> top) then reads
>
>  cd "Z:\Groups\CFST\sbproject\Data\surveys\Checkbox_2008\CFSTLeader\analysisdata"
> unrecognized command:  cd invalid command name
> In Ultraedit:  I have (in the past on this machine successfully) used
> the procedures documented by Freidrich Huber but I get the error below
> even if I simply copy (control C) and paste (control V) into the stata
> command file from ultraedit
>
> If I copy and paste the text below to the command line from ultraedit:
> global note_leader "Source: CFST Leader Survey Spring 2008" /*footnote
> to a series of graphs*/
>
> I get this
> invalid syntax
>
> --for some reason it won't let me use comments in the from of /*  */ or ///
> -I contend these comments are very  helpful if your code is very
> long--it's nice to have comments on the same line as the text.