st: saving memory local vs usual variable

From   "Ashim Kapoor" <>
Subject   st: saving memory local vs usual variable
Date   Fri, 3 Oct 2008 21:24:56 +0530

Hello everyone,

I have a question. Suppose I have a variable say - > age. Now I can do
egen j=max(age). Then I will have the max value of age in ONE
VARIABLE! Horrible waste of memory. I try to do local lj=max(age) and
that does not work. How can I conserve memory ? Is there something
basic which I have missed ?

Thank you,

PS : I do understand that I can do egen j = max (age ) and then say
local lj=j[1] and then -do drop j - but is there a better way ?