RE: st: space trouble in excel to stata conversion

From   "Martin Weiss" <>
To   <>
Subject   RE: st: space trouble in excel to stata conversion
Date   Wed, 1 Oct 2008 15:49:35 +0200

That is a solution for Stata->Excel, but Ashim asked about Excel->Stata. I
tried to replicate his problem, and it did not happen to me... Anything
special about that string variable that we should know about, Ashim? Have
you tried to -insheet- instead of pasting?

-----Original Message-----
[] On Behalf Of Johannes Geyer
Sent: Wednesday, October 01, 2008 3:41 PM
Subject: Re: st: space trouble in excel to stata conversion

"here is what I do, I copy and paste a string variable from excel to
stata ( ie. a column of observations from excel to stata). For some
strange reason there is a SPACE after each observation which refuses
to go away even after I use the -trim- command.
Has anyone experienced this ? Please tell me if I can read about this

I don't know - you could do the following and avoid that problem:

sysuse auto
xmlsave make using FILENAME, replace doctype(excel)

Johannes Geyer
Deutsches Institut für Wirtschaftsforschung (DIW Berlin)
German Institute for Economic Research
Department of Public Economics
DIW Berlin
Mohrenstraße 58