Re: -merge- (?) problem (was: st: MIME-Version: 1.0)

From   "Eva Poen" <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: -merge- (?) problem (was: st: MIME-Version: 1.0)
Date   Tue, 30 Sep 2008 10:08:51 +0100

As Martin said, there are tools out there to do this.

However, if you are generally interested in parallel lists:
There is an faq on how to process parallel lists:
http://www.stata.com/support/faqs/lang/parallel.html

Also, Nick Cox wrote a Stata Tip on lists, which is available free of
charge thanks to the moving wall policy by StataCorp:
http://www.stata-journal.com/article.html?article=pr0009

Eva

2008/9/30 Ashim Kapoor <[email protected]>:
> Hello.
>
> Thank you for your reply. I wish to ask another ( related ) question.
>
> Suppose I have 2 local variables with the SAME no of "words".
>
> local name="One Two Three Four"
> local numname="one two three four"
>
> I want to do something like :-
>
> rename One one
> rename Two two
> rename Three three
> rename Four four.
>
> So I have 2 questions. How do I get the number of words in the local
> macro. And 2nd How do I access the 1/2/3/4 "word" of the macro. I have
> seen the word command for STRING variables, but can I do this for a
> local variable ?
>
> Thank you,
> Ashim.
>

> On Mon, Sep 29, 2008 at 9:03 PM, Eva Poen <[email protected]> wrote:
>> Ashim,
>>
>> Please try and use Stata lingo in your postings: observations (not
>> rows, or items) and variables (not columns).
>>
>> You can do it much easier. -help merge- will provide some good information.
>>
>> ***
>> use secondfile
>> sort symbol year
>> save, replace
>>
>> use firstfile
>> sort symbol
>> merge symbol using secondfile, uniqmaster
>> save mergefile
>> ***
>>
>> Now you will have ticker as a variable in you second file. Inspect the
>> _merge variable (see -help merge-) to make sure the outcome is what
>> you expected.
>>
>> Next:
>> ***
>> qui levelsof symbol, local(loop)
>> foreach x of local loop {
>> drop _all
>> use mergefile
>> keep if symbol == "`x'"
>> save `=ticker[1]'
>> }
>> ***
>>
>> HTH,
>> Eva
>>
>> 2008/9/29 Ashim Kapoor <[email protected]>:
>>> Hello Eva,
>>>
>>> Thank you for your time. Let me be more clear this time.
>>>
>>> In the first file I have 2 variables--> symbol and ticker. The tickers
>>> are file names I want to save various output files as.  There is a one
>>> one correspondence between symbol and tickers. For example.
>>>
>>>     symbol    ticker
>>> 1.    ABB       abb
>>> 2.    BHARTI  bti
>>> 3.    AIRTEL   artl
>>>

>>> That is what the first file looks like.
>>>
>>> the second file has variables year / symbol / production / etc.
>>>
>>> It looks like
>>>
>>>   symbol              year    production
>>> 1.   ABB              1998          92
>>> 2.   ABB              1999          95
>>> 3.   BHARTI          1998          61
>>> 4.   BHARTI           1999         70
>>> 5.   AIRTEL           2000          80