Re: -merge- (?) problem (was: st: MIME-Version: 1.0)

From   "Eva Poen" <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: -merge- (?) problem (was: st: MIME-Version: 1.0)
Date   Mon, 29 Sep 2008 16:33:51 +0100

Ashim,

Please try and use Stata lingo in your postings: observations (not
rows, or items) and variables (not columns).

You can do it much easier. -help merge- will provide some good information.

***
use secondfile
sort symbol year
save, replace

use firstfile
sort symbol
merge symbol using secondfile, uniqmaster
save mergefile
***

Now you will have ticker as a variable in you second file. Inspect the
_merge variable (see -help merge-) to make sure the outcome is what
you expected.

Next:
***
qui levelsof symbol, local(loop)